Webinar Recording and Handouts
PWW 2019 Employment Update
A PWW Media Webinar Recording
New overtime rules were just announced by the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) regarding overtime pay, and they take effect on January 1, 2020. The new rules maintain the same standard “duties” tests for meeting the white-collar exemptions - administrative, professional, and executive. But, the Department of Labor is on a mission to “identify potentially exempt employees by screening out obviously nonexempt employees” by raising threshold salary amounts for overtime exempt employees.
Between now and January 1, 2020, EMS employers must take a hard look at all positions in their agency that they classify as “exempt” from overtime. We recommend that you not only analyze current salary amounts, but you should also confirm that exempt employees actually meet the job duties test to be exempt under Federal law.
This webinar will cover:
- The new salary threshold
- How the Administrative, Professional and Executive exemptions apply
- Whether you’re complying with Federal overtime rules
- How the DOL is raising the total annual compensation requirement for “highly compensated employees”
- How employers will now be able to use nondiscretionary bonuses and incentive payments to satisfy up to 10% of the standard salary level
- How the DOL will update the salary threshold in the future
- What your 2 choices are if any currently exempt employee is not projected to earn $35,568 per year (or the applicable lower salary level if the employer is located in a U.S. Territory)
The webinar will also cover the latest on OSHA, the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) and other rules affecting EMS employers.